Saturday, January 2, 2010

Rejoicing in Weakness

Earlier today, i wanted to write on the topic of jealousy. But now, i think i have a more pressing concern: helplessness. Throughout the events that have occurred in my life... i've come to feel very disempowered, and at times utterly helpless.

I could write libraries' worth of pages on the topic of the stripping of power and independence and authority, but I shall spare the stories to avoid indulging in hate. But I just want to write out this prayer of surrender:

Father God,
You have promised to work for the good of those who love You. I want to make claim on that promise. In so many arenas of my life, I feel things are out of my control. I feel I've been led by the hand into a corner with no escape, all the while people expect me to burst forth and create my own escape. The future is uncertain and even though I have made steps to walk out in faith, nothing has changed. God, if You mean to change me, would you transform me as quickly as You would. And if circumstance is to change, please change them hastily. I hate being at another person's mercy and whim. God allow me a glimpse of the fruit to be borne of this suffering, even if i cannot obtain that fruit right now. In my wretched and pathetic helplessness, I come broken and defeated to the foot of the Cross. May I rest in the shadow of the Cross and emerge empowered in the Holy Spirit. May I die to all other hopes but Christ alone.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment